Saturday, October 27, 2007

Australia Zoo

The day after we went to Seaworld we drove 2 hours up to the Sunshine Coast to Australia Zoo. I was unsure of what to expect of the zoo, for some reason I was picturing lots and lots of dirt. I think that must be because of all the khaki!

We went with some friends of ours from Kal who were in Qld at the same time. Once we got there we went straight to the famous Crocoseum (I think that's how it's spelt) where they hold their wildlife shows. Dan was especially excited to be going to the zoo as he seems to be fascinated with Crocodiles at the moment. So we were excited for him too and interested to see his reactions when they brought the crocs out. Because we came in late we were sitting up quite high in the Crocoseum and didn't get as close a look as I would've liked. A big croc came in through the water pool they have there, and Dan was just spellbound by him! Here is a couple of pics of him:


After the show we got on the little train to go see the tiger cubs. They had a couple of carers in playing around with them, and you had to fight the crowds off to get in and get some photos! When I finally got to the front the fence was taller than me so I only have photos of the cubs through the fence, lol:

And the elephants...I LOVE elephants! You may or may not of heard about Siam, one of the residant elephants at the Aust Zoo. She was being hosed down when we got to her section:

As we were walking along the path we came across one of the Zoo Carers with a snake. She was giving a little impromptu talk about snakes and you could pat the snake if you wanted to. Dan actually went and patted the snake! Here, I have proof, lol:

Along the path back to the main zoo area we came across the koalas, kangaroos, wombats, birds, and quite a few cheeky little lizards running around freely:

There was this massively fat Boa Constrictor in a big glass cage in the main area. I swear, this snake has been trained to come right up to the window and stare you down until you leave. It was actually quite fascinating the way it seemed really interested in all the people behind the glass as I didn't think snakes had all that good eyesight for some reason.

There was also a little petting zoo of baby animals which was very cute. They also brought some of them out for a walk through the zoo at different times so people could get up close and learn more about them. The little piggies were especially cute, at one stage they all crammed their little snouts under the fence at the same time and all you could see was these snouts, snorting. Angus loved it in here as he could stand up and peer over the fences at the animals. He tried to pat a little pig but it snorted on his hand and he wouldn't attempt to pat any again after that!

Check out this croc, he doesn't look too impressed, does he?


Overall, I was quite impressed with the zoo. It was more like an interactive zoo, with some of the animals being brought out for walks and the carers giving little talks on them to teach you about the animals. There was plenty of khaki around, which just emphasised the huge amount of staff and animals carers they have there. There is also a section that has been made into a Steve Irwin Memorial, with a big long fence of khaki shirts with goodbyes notes written on them to Steve, and a lot of things that have obviously been sent from fans. I was surreal to be walking through it all. It would've been so great to be at the Zoo on a day that the whole Irwin family was there.

We did actually get a glimpse of Bindi at the end of the day. She was walking through the main section of the zoo with 2 other people, one of them holding a large movie camera, not pointing it al her, just carrying it. I don't think many people noticed her as she was just dressed like any other kid and looked like she hadn't brushed her hair, lol. And she was so much smaller than on tv! I know that is said of everyone you see on tv, but she was!

There were at least two houses that we could see around the zoo aswell, and we were all trying to work out if one of those was the Irwin's residence!

So we had a great day at the zoo. We left at 4.30pm which is when it closes, and drove the 2 hours back home again, phew! It was worth it though.

No comments: